SAINT TIKHON’S SEMINARY OPENS SEARCH FOR DIRECTOR OF THE SAINT PATRIARCH TIKHON LIBRARY
St. Tikhon’s Orthodox Theological Seminary invites applicants for a full-time Director of the Saint Patriarch Tikhon Library. As a member of the Seminary Administration, the Director reports to the Dean of the Seminary, and Chairs the Seminary’s Library Committee. The Director also serves as a member of other Committees as appointed by the Rector or Dean of the Seminary. A review of applications for this position will begin on 1 August 2021, with the position open until filled.
The Director of the Saint Patriarch Tikhon Library oversees the overall functioning of the Library and Information Services, partners with the Seminary Faculty to support the development of graduate-level research practices in Seminary students, as well participates in curriculum development activities. As an integral member of the teaching and learning community, the Director plays a creative role in fostering a climate conducive to supporting the teaching, learning, and scholarship of members of the community.
Individual responsibilities of the Director will include:
- Providing for the quality and integrity of on-going Library services, including: acquisitions, cataloging, and circulation activities;
- Advising the Dean on the resource needs of the Library in the preparation of the Seminary’s annual budget;
- Leading the design, implementation, and assessment of Library policies, services, and programs;
- Supervising the development of the Library’s collections and services commensurate with the academic, research, and information needs of the Seminary community, as well as the Library’s other user groups;
- Supervising and coordinating the maintenance and development of the Seminary’s institutional archives;
- Providing resources and services to patrons of the Library;
- Promoting research services to faculty and students in support of the curriculum;
- Receiving all gifts to the Library and supervising their cataloging and use;
- Conserving the Library’s print and non-print media, equipment, and other information resources;
- Supervising and evaluating the quality and performance of voluntary library staff members and assigned student workers;
- Holding primary responsibility for strategic planning and accreditation review activities related to the Saint Patriarch Tikhon Library;
- Encouraging inter-library cooperation, and representing the Library in maintaining cooperative resource-sharing arrangements and consortial agreements with other academic institutions and libraries;
- Bringing such matters to the attention of the Dean that are appropriate and necessary to keep him fully informed, and to enable him to meet his responsibilities; and
- Performing other duties as assigned which are within the scope and nature of the position.
Due to the mission and purpose of the Seminary, the successful candidate must be a faithful member of the Eastern Orthodox Church and a regular and engaged participant in its sacramental life. Candidates applying for the position must also agree to support and advance the established mission and purpose of the Seminary, which can be found HERE.
Possession of an American Library Association (ALA) accredited Master’s degree either at the time of hire or within one academic year from the date of hire is required. Academic background in Theology or a related area is preferred.
Given the nature of the Seminary’s mission and purpose, the possession of academic study at an Orthodox institution of higher education within a candidate’s background is preferred, however is not required for consideration.
Possession of 3 to 5 years of progressively responsible experience in an academic library is preferred.
As noted above, a review of applications for this position will begin on 1 August 2021, with the position open until filled. Please submit a letter of application, current curriculum vitae, and a list of references to the Search Committee at email@example.com.
Full-time administrative position, with health care and pension benefits. Salary commensurate with academic credentials and experience, with details available on candidate request. The Director may be eligible for concurrent appointment to the rank of Assistant or Associate Professor based upon academic qualifications and experience (i.e., the possession of an ALA approved Master’s degree as well as a second Master’s or Doctoral degree in Theology or a closely related area).
ABOUT THE SEMINARY
St. Tikhon’s Seminary is a tightknit community of Orthodox Faith and Learning nestled in the beautiful surroundings of the Pocono region of Northeastern Pennsylvania. Since its founding in 1938, St. Tikhon’s Seminary has dedicated itself to the spiritual, pastoral, liturgical, and academic formation of those who seek to serve the Orthodox Church in positions of either ordained ministry or lay leadership.
The Patriarch Tikhon Library is an in-depth collection of primary and secondary resources dedicated to supporting the aims, objectives, and mission of the Seminary; the scope of content of its Master of Divinity curriculum; and the needs of its Faculty, students, staff, and public research patrons. The Library’s print, non-print, and digital media holdings consist of approximately 50,000 items in the form of monographs and periodical titles.
Any offer of employment will be contingent upon satisfactory completion of a background check, which will include a criminal history check. Please note that prior convictions, including felony convictions, will not necessarily bar an individual from employment, but each case will be examined separately.